When Marc walked in Thursday morning after dropping Ella off at school, his eyes were red and I knew he had been crying, I asked what was wrong but then his phone rang. He asked me to hang on and went out to the garage. I began to panic. When he came back in I was horrified and shocked by what he said "Brian Dugan was hit by a car and killed". Obviously something you never expect to hear. Marc and his family have known Brian since childhood. Ann, Brian's wife has been best friends with Gina (Marc's sister) since they were little girls. She was Gina's matron of honor at her wedding and is her daughters Godmother. I've been fortunate enough to get to know Ann and Brian over the years. Ann was at my baby shower and they were there for Ella's first birthday. We've enjoyed spending time with Ann and her family on our visits to Buffalo as we would stay at the hotel where she is the Director of Sales. I remember Ann and her son Jack, just a baby then, were there the first time Marc brought me home to meet his family. I knew she sensed I was nervous and her and Gina made me feel right at home. Brian and Ann are both truly amazing and exceptionally kind people. Brian was an extremely popular high school teacher and coach. Marc and I agreed that in our minds we can't imagine what they look like without a smile on their faces. They were an adorable couple and have two beautiful little boys. Just as hundreds of people, we've had a difficult time with this and have shed a lot of tears. Although his loss won't affect our day to day lives, as it obviously so drastically will for his family, co-workers, students and close friends we hurt so deeply for those people. I think though that it has brought Marc and I even closer and although you hear it all the time, we really have been appreciating what we have, because, well, you just never know. Our hearts are breaking for Ann, Jack and Aiden. It's just one of those things that you can't wrap your brain around, it doesn't make sense and is so unfair. But unfortunately, that is life I suppose.
I've attached one of the dozens of articles on the accident. I'm also posting the address for the education fund that has been set up for the boys. Even if you don't know the family, believe me when I say they are truly some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Please think about donating whatever you can.

Brian and Ann at Gina's wedding
Article:
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/tonawanda/article192067.ece
Brian C. Dugan Children's Education Fund
P.O. Box 2
Buffalo, NY 14223
1 comment:
Kristin, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend Brian. What a terrible tragedy. I prayed for his wife and their children...I hope they find peace and are able to enjoy life again very soon.
Post a Comment