Monday, April 4, 2011

We're still here, are you?

Well obviously our blog has sort of fallen to the waist side. I'm tempted to ask, is anyone our there? Does anybody look at our blog anymore? You know, since Facebook is pretty much the primary source of communication these days. I guess even if there is no one out there and I'm just typing words into cyberspace, I will continue to blog as much as I can. It's hard to believe we've been blogging for almost 4 years. It really is wonderful to be able to go back and see all the highlighted moments of our lives and to see picture by picture and post by post how much our lives have changed over these last 3 years and 8 months to be exact, since we started it when Giana was born. So for now I'll write on as Marc is in Ohio for a class and all 3 kids are asleep before 8:00 for the first time in a long time! Unfortunately, I have no pics to post because the USB cable is not working and we have to order a new one.
Still, life is good. Ella got her report card last week, and nothing but positive things. She's a kindergarten rock star! :) Her teacher also sent home a long typed letter to Marc and I about how she was amazed at Ella's reading ability. She decided to give her this Accelerated Reading Test, which is used for kids in 1st-5th grades. She gave us the print out of the results and it came out that her reading level was above average. Pointing out that it is above average for a first grader. The calculations show that she is reading at the level of a 2nd grader in the 4th month of school. So now each Monday Ella goes to the school library and chooses a book from her reading level and then takes a test on it on Fridays. Well, she bought home a book today-gosh, even I thought it was hard, it had chapters, and crazy words. She struggled a little but all in all did well. And I really am thrilled about the love she has for reading. Now onto Gia..well, she is a character. Everyone just adores her and thinks she is so cute and funny. Sometimes I wonder if those are things that will make her stand out over the next few years. I mean she really is not interested in learning (school-like) things. I asked her a few weeks ago if she wanted to learn how to write her name and she said "no, I want to play Barbies". It's like she is so intelligent, too smart for her age is what people tell, me but I wonder if she'll be as succesfull when it comes to school. Yet, she uses these words that you typically wouldn't hear a 3yo use. Like today she said "Mom, this cupcake is delightful, you are an amazing cook" and her imagination is just above and beyond. She'll play dress-up or sit and play Barbies or Little Pony's for hours. Ella never did/does that-she'd rather draw, or write a story. I guess it still astounds me how different siblings can be. Then there's Noah, ah spoiled rotten and knows it Noah. Boy he's def in his terrible 2's stage-he hits, pinches and uses the word dummy too often. He hasn't slept in his own bed in over a month, I don't even know how it happened. I guess it was the transition from the crib to the big boy bed, I'd rock him to sleep every night (problem right there) put him in bed and then he'd wake in the middle of the night and come into our bed. So basically, what's happening now is he won't nap anymore in the afternoon, but then at 4-5:00 he's exhausted and passes out even if he sleeps for 5 min. he'll be up until 10-11:00 and the vicious cycle continues. All that aside, he too is a character and I have to admit that I do love the time Marc and I have alone with him at night (most of the time :P). He'll just talk and talk to us, he is really funny.

Well, I've written way too much and now I'm going to go enjoy this rare quiet time. I have lots of great pics just waiting to be posted so check back soon-if anyone is reading this :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We enjoy your blog. Great pictures and narrative. Aunt Aunt Rosemary & Uncle Joe

2p said...

Yup, I read your blog!
I wanted to tell you that I've read a LOT about how children learn. I'm no expert and I know you didn't ask my opinion (!) but you know, Gia will learn when she's ready. She may not show an interest in reading or writing or whatever as early as you may like or as early as Ella but that is perfectly ok. If she's not pushed to the point of hating that subject, she'll learn a love for it on her own schedule.
Sean's an excellent reader, like Ella, but he has no interest in writing at this point. I think I pushed too hard earlier in the year. He is just now starting to write again, for his own enjoyment, and, finally, I am perfectly happy with that. I can't wait to meet your littlest ones! Cathleen stopped napping as soon as Sean finished pre-K, right after her 2nd birthday. She just goes to bed early now! She'll sleep from 5:30pm until 7am if needed. Sometimes, though, I really miss those naps! Keep up the blogging! Much much more personal than FB.

Longest comment ever...